Product news and other information from the developers of Portfolio.
Showing 36 - 40 of 95
Major design overhaul, new file uploader and lots, lots more
The update performed yesterday (d1f718e) took a lot of effort, and I'd like to give thanks to everyone that helped out with fixing the issues that showed up after it was deployed. All sites should be back to operational status. If you do notice anything that worked a few days ago but has now stopped working, please report it.
- The read/unread state of an object is now fetched in a much faster way, improving rendering speed overall, but especially in container views.
- Combined YUI (Yahoo User Interface) CSS components into a single 'normalize.css' stylesheet. This should improve performance slightly, especially for older browsers. All other stylesheets have also been combined into a single stylesheet named 'design.css' for the same reason.
- Sound playback events like play, pause and stop, are now automatically logged to Google Analytics, enabling us to better understand how people interact with sounds.
- Statistics about how many members are inside groups can now be fetched in templates with the
get_group_member_count() template function.
- The file uploader has been completely rewritten to use modern HTML5 browser capabilities, enabling drag-and-drop uploading.
- The following user interface languages have been added: Arabic, German, Greek, Romanian and Turkish. These translations are not complete, and only the strings used by CEFR test framework have been translated.
- A new jQuery plugin named fs2tree has been added to make it possible to render a file system tree in any template. This is used by the new minimalistic layout.
- It is now possible to remove most of the default design, making it possible for designers to setup their own layouts without first needing to remove a lot of the default styles and features. This is enabled by adding a site-config boolean variable named
no_default_design. When the default design is disabled, the following features are removed:
- Default 'design.css' stylesheet is not loaded.
- Global config variable 'stylesheet' is ignored.
- Global config variable 'include' is ignored.
PORTFOLIO.layout_fix_height() event handler is disabled.
wrapper_page element in the core page template is not rendered.
- A new set of minimalistic templates have been added for designers, enabling them to quickly create flexible designs with grouping.
- The custom_init field previously only available on objects have been introduced for containers. Their usage is identical.
- Introduced new mandatory stylesheet 'behavior.css' and moved all bundled styles into a single 'design.css' file which can be disabled. This should also improve performance slightly, especially on older browsers.
- Pagination in container views can now be disabled on a site-by-site basis. Use the
no_pagination site-config boolean variable to disable. Be aware that this also impact blog containers.
<appname>.messages.json and the HTML UI should be named
<appname>.html. These dependencies will only be loaded if you declare them with the std: prefix in your .app.js file. See the client-side app documentation for more details.
- Placeholder images for more object types has been added in the TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor.
- The object read/unread indicator in container views has been changed from bold to just a discrete black vertical bar. This is to avoid confusion with the bold indicator used in the folder menu to highlight the active container/object. The institution blog view has been modified in the same way.
- Flash warning/error messages are now emitted in the following situations (these messages were previously only available to backend administrators):
- During a recursive delete in the file manager.
- When a CSV parser could not be constructed in the
parse_csv() template function.
- When invalid JSON data is encountered in the
decode_json() template functions.
- When a message to a supervisor could not be sent or permissions couldn't be granted during save in the object editor.
- The administrative user interface for adding and removing courses to institutions now has a toggle all checkboxes feature.
- Upgraded to version 1.11.3/2.1.3 of jQuery. Internet Explorer version 9 or older will use version 1.11.3, while all other browsers will use version 2.1.3. This should also give a slight performance improvement on modern browsers. Candy Chat was upgraded to 1.7.1 and jQuery UI was upgraded to 1.11.3 because of this upgrade. The optional jQuery Migrate plugin has been enabled to compensate for code that has not yet been upgraded to work without it.
- The 'layout.css' stylesheet was previously only loaded in framework mode. It is now always included. A CSS class has been added to the
html root DOM element so it is easy to target framework and no-framework mode. This changed a lot of CSS selectors, which impacted site designs. We have fixed everything we've found, but there might be some we haven't found that could cause usability issues.
element_meta template was previously used to declare the page character set, which made it mandatory. This caused issues for sites that wanted to customize their meta information for improved search engine optimization (SEO) or better mobile user experience. This character set declaration has now been moved to the core page template.
- Creating new containers opened up the UI with full framework. It is now opened without the surrounding framework.
- All request handlers (except for
read) now include the class
wrapper_request_handler, making it easier to target content inside the main page block.
- Ordered and unordered lists (OL/UL) previously didn't display numbers and bullets, and tables were missing borders. These have been put back to avoid the need for custom style by default.
- A lot of style declared directly in the HTML markup has been removed in the user menu template.
- The course navigator is now rendered semantically as part of the page footer instead of the header. This should minimize the amount of content for navigation that is rendered before the main content. This should improve usability, especially for blind people.
- Made the left-most margin in the folder tree thinner.
- Changed the spacer in the folder tree to be a SPAN, to improve HTML semantics.
- All stylesheets are now included without a specific media type set. This makes it possible to use
@media declarations without ambiguity.
- All bundled stylesheets now explicitly declare their character set as UTF-8.
- The CSS normalize we use from YUI (Yahoo User Interface) has been upgraded to version 3.18.1. It consist of the Reset, Fonts and Base components. This should improve browser rendering consistency.
- The 3rd party library MathJax was upgraded to version 2.4 to solve a rendering issue with MathML in Internet Explorer 10 and older versions.
- The placeholder images used in the TinyMCE WYSIWYG object editor wasn't always showing up. This should now be fixed.
- LEXIN changed their API making our dictionary lookups fail. Some dictionary lookups didn't work properly because of character set issues. All these issues have now been fixed.
- The synthetic speech option provided by LeseWeb was broken because our 3rd party provider changed their character set encoding without informing us. This should now be fixed.
- Scrollbars were rendered in the file browser. These have been removed.
- Fixed a bug with character set encoding of content specified in object/container custom-init variables. Custom-init keys only support ASCII, but values support full Unicode defined in UTF8 via URL escaping.
- The visual design for the folder tree was declared twice. The redundant declaration has been removed.
- The jQuery plugin
disableTextSelection was removed and use-cases rewritten, as it was not compatible with the current jQuery version.
- Improper use of the jQuery
.attr() method was rewritten to use
- The new version of the jQuery UI plugin
dialog changed behavior with regards to the
destroy action. Previously the DIV DOM element that contained the dialog content was removed when you called
destroy. It does not do that anymore. Code has been modified to compensate for this change in behavior.
Feature removals / deprecations
- The object
custom_init_hash attribute is deprecated. New code should use the
get_custom_init() method instead. The key custom_init_hash has changed name to custom_init during JSON serialization. This also applies to container instances.
- The template
element_tidy_messages was removed because it is no longer in use.
- The unused 'dhtmlwindow.css' stylesheet was removed.
- The CSS rules defined in 'content.css' was moved into 'design.css'. This stylesheet was used inside the TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor to allow custom rules to be declared. This was very rarely used, so this feature was removed to simplify the features available in the editor.
- Removed IE6 bgiframe hack in popup feature. We have long since stopped supporting IE6.
- Removed IE8 kludge for width calculation in TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor. No longer required.
- Removed IE7 kludge PORTFOLIO.fix_rtl() for properly handling right-to-left text. No longer required.
- Completely removed the 3rd party Java-based file uploader JUpload. We now have a modern HTML5-based file uploader to take its place. The response mode jupload and the support features in the write request handler was also removed.
Flash embedding has changed to support latest Flash runtime
This update (4a74d29) brings with it the following changes:
- Changed how Flash content is embedded on Internet Explorer because the most recent Flash runtime changed what it accepted. You might need to upgrade your Flash runtime to the latest version to view Flash content.
Improved folder menu rendering, simplified language selection and more
This update (c10cb3d) brings with it the following changes:
- Added new template function called filesystem(). This function can be used to render the entire tree for a root container. The first parameter is the root container, the second is the container to show objects in. If the second parameter is not specified, all objects will be shown.
- Rewritten the element_menu (folder menu) template to use this new filesystem() template function. The HTML has been changed a little bit, but it is mostly compatible with the old one. Some CSS classes have been removed and some changed. All items in the menu now use the translated title (if available).
- The filesystem HTTP request handler now uses the same filesystem() template function. The path parameters dispatch directly to the template function. It is now also available to anonymous users.
- Added ability to use emoticons in the WYSIWYG editor.
- Change the language selector manage_language() to only show completely translated languages by default. You can specify the show_all boolean parameter if you need to see all supported user-interface languages.
- Changed quiz assignment view so that the student is able to see which answers are correct or wrong after the supervisor has corrected the assignment. Previously the answers were just shown in bold.
- The quiz type check correct/wrong icon sometimes overlapped the checkbox. This is now fixed.
- Translation languages were missing for the jQuery DataTables plugin, which caused the search feature to be missing if an unsupported language was used. This has been fixed.
- Fixed a bug with the quiz types check, select, text and matchbox where they didn't honor score set to 0 when displaying correct/wrong status in supervisor/student view.
- The element_menu_loading DOM element was kept in the DOM after element_menu was loaded. Now it is removed from the DOM instead of just hidden.
- The element_menu template is no longer in need of any local variables, so the template is now rendered with a call to process_template('element_menu'). The previously used template function element_menu() has been removed.
- All overridden page_footer templates must be changed to call process_template('element_menu') instead of element_menu().
- The filesystem HTTP request handler could previously render the tree for the entire database. This feature has been removed.
Session security and language improvements
This update (65f3052) brings with it the following changes:
- If a user is logged out because their IP address changed, inform them about it.
- Disable use of the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header as the source of the client IP address. It can be forged. Only approved reverse proxy servers are now allowed.
- Added Burmese, Sorani (Central Kurdish) and Kurmanji (Northern Kurdish) translation languages.
- Added new user interface languages Greek and Romanian. If a user selects this language the messages will come in English, as the language has not yet been translated.
- Upgraded the languages Arabic, German and Turkish to user interface languages. Same note as above applies.
- Improved the names of both Norwegian languages and Pashto.
Session variables, flash messages, performance improvements and more
This update (c47d0e4) brings with it the following improvements:
- Session variables can now be used to store information for anonymous users. Only pre-approved variables can be used, and they have very limited size.
- Whenever you perform an activity that stores some kind of information, you will now get a flash message about what happened when the page redirects. This message was not displayed earlier. Flash messages can have three severities: info, warning and error.
- Anonymous users can now set their language preference using the manage_language() template function. This is not available in the default template, but sites can choose to use this feature as required. All three language settings can be set.
- Session authentication and information is now stored in a Redis database that should allow much higher concurrency than our old solution.
- Avoid logging a lot of event information that is never displayed anywhere. Also removed 34 million old events which are no longer needed.
- The session ID is no longer logged with the login event, which could be used by certain privileged users to hijack sessions. This is no longer possible.
- The online request handler now shows the IP addresses associated with the sessions if you're logged in as a global administrator. Guests are also displayed in the table.
- Whenever you hide or show the left/right panels or the message of the day, this is now stored in a session variable instead of a cookie.
- The user panel (right side of the screen) now stores in a session variable which section is open on page refresh.
- When you close the file browser, the last folder you were in is stored in a session variable and the next time you open it without a specific location you should be back where you were.
- Whenever the message of the day is added or changed the users that have hidden it will see it again.
- Flash messages are now used on CEFR sites to inform about report sent. This allows users to return to the report after sending it.
- When storing an object using JSON response mode, the serialized object is now returned to the caller.
- Fix a partially hidden logout button issue in Google Chrome.
- Fix a bug where the value 0 is not considered a valid label.
- Make multi-select in the inbox and outbox more consistent with normal UI behavior.
- The old time log request handler which was replaced with the page views report has now finally been removed. It's not been usable since February 2014.
Showing 36-40 of 95