Product news and other information from the developers of Portfolio.
Showing 81 - 85 of 125
Switch to Nginx and e-portal push message support
Today's update (dbcd9f2) brings with it the following changes:
- User permissions can now be removed in Portfolio automatically via push messages when e-portal information is modified.
- It is now possible to perform automated user-interface testing against a test database.
- Web server changed from Apache 2 to Nginx. This should improve performance because we can enable HTTP keep-alive.
- Session ID now includes port number if non-default. This is to differentiate between production and test on the same server.
- Beanstalk queues for production and testing are now separate.
- Let web server handle which HTTP methods are allowed (only GET and POST). This should make server a bit more robust against attacks.
- Improved legend text in user activity request handler.
- Ensure cached responses (HTTP 304) uses correct headers, which should fix a HTTP keep-alive issue with Google Chrome and possibly other browsers.
- If an e-portal user was disabled and/or merged with another one, you would sometimes get a database error during login via e-portal. This should now be fixed.
- A user without an email address registered in e-portal would be unable to login to Portfolio again after a removal/re-addition. This should now be fixed.
- Fix a database error on page view ping which caused time accounting to stop prematurely if the same ping was reported more than once.
E-portal provisioning and multimedia playback revamp
Today's update (f631b63) brings with it the following changes:
- Logging on to Portfolio using e-portal will now include course access
permissions and supervisor relationships. In addition the user is added to
the specified groups at the institution and the active course is set to the
one the user clicked on in the e-portal. If a student logs in only the
supervisor(s) for that particular student is created, but if a supervisor
logs in, all of their students are automatically created. This is to ensure
a supervisor can send messages to all students immediately after logging in.
If students need to communicate with each other they need to both log in
before they can find each other. Users in both e-portal and Portfolio with
matching email addresses will be merged instead of creating new ones.
- Whenever a course is rebuilt by the editor, who and when that did it is now stored
and displayed in the administrative course list.
- Mind the Gap PIN codes for 2013 and 2014 have been added.
- The following translation languages have been added:
- Sorani Kurdish (Iraq)
- Punjabi (India)
- Dari (Afghanistan)
- Pashto (Afghanistan)
- Tamil (India)
- Video playback has been changed from using FlowPlayer to MediaElementJS. This
should ensure video playback specifically on Apple-based devices work better,
and other HTML5-capable browsers should also work better. If Flash or
Silverlight is installed, it will also utilize these as a fallback. The
following formats should now play back with a consistent user interface:
MP4, FLV, WebM and WMV.
- SoundManager has been upgraded to version 2.97a.20130512. This should ensure
better compatibility with HTML5 audio support in newer browsers when playing
back MP3 files.
- The synthetic speech option now uses the third-party generated MP3 files
directly, which should lower latency until playback is started slightly
because no transcoding is required anymore.
- If you submit a quiz on a page without framework, the resulting page will also
be without framework. This should make it cleaner to include quiz inside iframes.
- The institution course license list will no longer show excessively long decimal numbers.
- Quiz observations were kept forever earlier. Observations older than 6 months are now
deleted to conserve space and make reports faster.
- The chat server (Prosody) has been upgraded to version 0.9.1.
- A few HTTP cookies that were never actually being used was removed.
- Portfolio client-side applications that used the app custom_init variable
(instead of the deprecated player variable) got the wrong icon if a custom
icon was assigned. This affected DrillPro exercises. This has been fixed.
Minor update: Added group quick-search box in my students report
This update (6a2c217) brings with it the following changes:
- The previous updated made it harder for supervisors to find just a group of their students. A new dropdown box now makes it easy to quick-search for a specific group of students.
- Tagalog and Lithuanian translation languages was added, in preparation for some new dictionaries to come.
New Flash-based sound recorder available
Today's update (444a0e43) contains these changes:
- If a recorder app is available, all of the internal sound recording features in Portfolio will use this app instead of the existing Java-based applet. The new sound recorder app uses a Flash-based approach instead, which should be more compatible. Future improvements might be to add WebRTC audio support to avoid Flash completely.
- Added an app proxy request handler, which makes it possible to link directly to globally defined apps, like the d-book web reader.
- When login page is opened inside an iframe, text input focus is no longer changed.
- The My students report has been changed into one big table with groups hidden, but expandable on click. Seeing just students for a specific group can be achieved by filtering manually on the group using the search box. This should make the report simpler to read and understand for most users.
- Leading and trailing whitespace in config variables are now trimmed when saving and updating them.
- Character encoding in title and description when creating and modifying objects should now work more consistently.
- Fix horizontal scrollbar issue in My configuration report in Chrome.
- Fix indentation issue in quiz type radio and check. The text should no longer wrap below the radio/checkbox.
ePortal and BookSync integration available
Today's update (c532951) brings with it the following changes:
- It is now possible to login to Portfolio using Fagbokforlaget's ePortal. This should solve the long-standing request of being able to login to Portfolio using FEIDE credentials. The ePortal is not available to the general public yet, but it is expected to go live around late-August 2013. Be aware that only authentication is provided at this stage. No permissions or memberships are created when you log in using this method.
- It is now possible to authenticate Portfolio with the new BookSync service, which gives access to your dbooks, notes and other stored information.
- Rewritten the resolve_path handler, which is responsible for simulating a traditional filesystem, required by many other features, e.g. apps. This is both a bugfix and a performance improvement. Overall it should be more robust. It was possible to start the resolve_path URL with something that was not a UUID. This feature has been removed, as it could cause confusion and bad behavior. Double slashes and single dots should now be properly optimized away. Double dots to traverse up to parent is still not supported, primarily because browsers tend to strip the URL part before the double dots as part of URL canonicalization rules. This in most cases causes the base UUID to be lost and path resolving to fail.
- CSS stylesheets now use the above resolve_path method during load, which makes it possible to reference images and other CSS files using relative paths, as long as they don't use back-references.
- Simplified the text and layout of the error screen. The technical reasons for the error are now less prominent.
- It is again possible to create a group without adding users using the institution management page.
- In some cases the page URL could be reported wrongfully to templates. This has now been fixed.
- Fixed some slightly wrong HTTP error codes in data and download handlers.
- The comment user interface is now hidden when printing a page.
- CSS objects embedded in element_meta overridden template now correctly end up in element_head.
- Flash and Java-based apps now properly use the app object's filename (or title) as a DOM class label.
- The element_useragent template function was removed, as it was no longer in use.
- The element_coursemenu template function was removed, as it was no longer in use.
- The template variable document_owner was removed from the page_footer template. It was never initialized, and there are better ways to get hold of that information now.
- The template variable quiz_present was removed from the page_footer template. It was no longer in use.
- The template variable document_iconsize was removed from the page_header template. It was never initialized, and other alternatives exist now.
- The template variable language was removed from the page_header template. It was only used once, and that usage was wrong. Other, better, alternatives exist now.
Showing 81-85 of 125